Saturday, March 03, 2007

ABC'S BEST

One of my favourite shows is 'Gardening Australia' and tonight they showed a beautiful garden in Geelong. The owners have ripped out the lawn and re-planted the beds with drought resistant plants. They use grey water and carry buckets to keep everything going. That's not their place above, that's my dream garden. As soon as I win Tattslotto, the grass gets bricked.
I get to keep the fruit trees but all in nice little brick walls so I'll have shade but no grass. My mower man nearly had a fit but he weeds and prunes and I'll be rich enough to make him an offer he can't refuse.

Another show I was glad I didn't miss was the first part of 'Not all Tea and Scones' about the Country Women's Association. Hard working, good cooking, very large ladies, not an anorexic in the bunch. I was impressed by the fact they sang the National Anthem at their meetings and knew all the words. I mightn't share their politics but I admire the hard work they do and I'm looking forward to the next part of their story.


8 comments:

BwcaBrownie said...

I love the CWA rooms at the Royal Showgrounds - god are they still there? the RASV are modernising aren't they, and have probably torn it down the bastards.
I actually think the CWA could RUN THE BLOODY COUNTRY and a whole lot better too. They have a place in Lansell Road Toorak where country women can stay overnight for about $20 !

Anonymous said...

I liked that their Sydney HQ is in Kings Cross, rather different to Lansell Road. What was with all the similar hair dye colour?

JahTeh said...

I loved this, one of the minister's assistants said there was a crisis, the minister asked if the CWA had rung, assistant said no, minister said then there isn't a crisis.

Andrew I wasn't looking at the hair but at the beam ends stacked in that small kitchen. More cooking next week, TV guide said sultana cake.

Link said...

I keep meaning to join the CWA (Chicks with Attitude) for cheap accomodation in the Cross, where I will suddenly find myself transported into a cosy, tatted world of tea and Welsh scones, after the gauntlet run down the main drag.

True Brownie, they are a powerful force in rural Australia, and possibly the only ones who actually do anything practical or realistic. Aye, I'm a tad sceptical about the amounts of labour men actually do.

I met a bunch of chicks-with-attiude at a cooking-fest, charity thing in a local hall up here. A nicer bunch of women you could not hope to meet. I then met their husbands. Why we are in such a mess suddenly became all too apparent. These blokes did not, in any way, deserve the tireless service their wives gave them.

JahTeh said...

Link, you've got the farm, the cat and the horse and you crochet so it's time you joined up for the recipes.

phil said...

My mother-in-law is a former NSW pres of CWA. All the things said earlier apply, but most especially the get up and go on all things community. Not to mention the roast lamb and the best damn pavlova ever. She's 91 and can still churn 'em out. Much to my chagrin at the time, she was also right about Tim Fischer, who used to be her local member (first NSW then Federal). Top bloke and not yer typical Nat.

JahTeh said...

I have to agree with your mother-in-law Phil, he was a good bloke and I liked the reason he left politics, his family.

JahTeh said...

Damn it Ron, I've got home-made apricot jam just screaming for scones.