Tuesday, June 30, 2009

HERO OF MARS






Edgar Rice Burroughs' hero of Mars, John Carter is finally going to be filmed.
These books were my introduction to Science Fiction and I loved them so I'll be in line for the movie.



Taylor Kitsch, who played Gambit in X-Men Origins: Wolverine has been signed for Carter and Lynn Collins has been signed for the part of the Martian princess Dejah Thoris. Production is due to start in November and the film released in 2012. It could be a success, no Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise. I hope they use CGI's wisely.


Burroughs created John Carter in 1911 and the first book was published in 1917. After being mysteriously transported to Mars, where he finds various creatures and people, rescues Princess Dejah Thoris from the Green Martians and helps to save the planet from destruction. The Martians are a varied lot especially colour wise, red, green, yellow, white and black. And they like their world to be called Barsoom, not Mars.




6 comments:

River said...

I'm not at all familiar with Edgar Rice Burroughs books. Maybe it's time I got myself to the library again.

JahTeh said...

I don't know how they'll read in the 21st century but suspend belief if you can get the books.

Taylor Kitsch will make an excellent John Carter and I'll sign off on Lynn Collins too.

Lad Litter said...

Read 'em all when I was about 16. Thought about dying the kikuyu in the backyard red just to see what a scarlet sward might look like.

Especially enjoyed the Martians who were two separate entities: a head that couldn't function without the other kind of Martians who were bodies that couldn't function without the head creatures sitting on top.

Grazie, Strega Rame!

JahTeh said...

Okay Ladlitter, do you agree with the actors for the top roles?
Kitsch certainly has the look of John Carter.

If I remember, didn't Carter come back to earth at one stage and then shot off to Venus or was that another character. I'd look it up but the ex took all his SF books with him like he wasn't already marrying a science fiction experiment.

Middle Child said...

I spent my thirties reading every sci fi book I could get my hands on...was hungry for it...but haven't read these...the movie will be wonderful...I love Sci fi as if I haven't said that before.

Unknown said...

Nice