Sunday, April 19, 2015

There's something about owls


This is a Banded Owl from Sumatra and is that a face of authority and wisdom or what?  I fell in love with the eyes, snappy looking beak though but the feathery tuffs say "listen up, dude!"  Sorry for the Americanism but it's really a 'dude' look not a 'mate' look.


 This is a juvenile Banded Owl, hasn't got the wisdom look yet but attitude, he has it.  Looks like a typical in your face teenager but I still love the eyes and the tufty feathers. The more I look at him the more I can almost hear the mouthing off. "Yeah, yeah, I'll clean the cage, gimme a break, I've been out all night, the hangover is kicking in, ffs Ma, I'm not a hatchling, I'll get to it!"


And straight from Harry Potter's family home after he graduated, became an auror, married Ginnie (she was the only one for him whatever the snippy Hermione fans say) and had kids.  The most divine Owlery but ditch the windows, owls are a bit dim they'd just fly straight into them.  I'd like this at the back of my house as a reading nook.


But since real owls have sharp beaks, sharp claws and eat live things and leave the bones around as well as the owl crap by the ton, I'll just have owl beads.  The colours in this one's eyes make mine water with desire to own him.


Him up there might be made in the wise mould, these two are a little on the frightened edge of the wild wood but if they stick together, they'll be right.


Even in beads we can get one with 'tude!  Get those eyes boring into your pocket looking for owl treats and that's definitely a hoodie he's wearing.  A bit of bling around the neck and probably a tinnie under that left wing.  Way on the wild side is this one. 
 
I can see him up there intimidating this wee sweetie into handing over his dead vole.  Never mind little one, you'll grow and it might be into a Banded Owl of vicious then we'll see who gets the voles.
(not true that I've seen the Owls of Ga'hoole 10 times, 8 maybe, 9 tops)

5 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

An owl freak here too. I adore them. Attitude, quirkiness and charm.
And how I would love owl post...

River said...

I like the heart window very much. I love the owl beads and want all of them and more.

Anonymous said...

I only just learnt about moles, although I knew about molls from my teen years. But voles? What on earth are they? Owls are great. Moonlight Sanctuary on Mornington Peninsula is a great place to see them at night when they are flying.

Ann ODyne said...

Whoo-hoo! Midnight Whoo-hoo! Whoo-hoo! Whoo-hoo! Whoo-hoo! Whoo-hoo! Whoo-hoo! Whoo-hoo! Whoo-hoo! Whoo-hoo!1am Whoo-hoo! Whoo-hoo! Whoo-hoo! Whoo-hoo! Whoo-hoo! 2am Whoo-hoo! Whoo-hoo! Whoo-hoo! Whoo-hoo! Whoo-hoo! Whoo-hoo!

JahTeh said...

EC, I saw a interview with the animal trainer of the Harry Potter films and he said owls were the dimmest birds to try and train, the ferrets were smarter.

River, I've fallen in love with that window, it's definitely the place for a reading nook.

Andrew, voles are smaller than moles, larger than mice but water rats are bigger.
Ask Miss O'Dyne how lovely owls are.

Annie O, at least you could go out with a torch and identify the species. It's a wonder they haven't knocked off a few of those giant rats down near the dog pens.