Saturday, March 25, 2017

You must read this or I will cry, I'm very teary.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-25/malaria-testing-new-technology-to-battle-endemic-in-png/8385504

I couldn't find this on Youtube but it's only been showing on ABC 24 today.  I have written about
this experiment before but this is the first time it's been on the road for field studies.  Asssociate Professor Wood is a friend of mine and he and two other scientists have been working for years to get this testing kit funded and on the market.  Read right through as this is going to have an impact on us when warm area virus carrying mosquitos start to head down the coast.  Ross River Fever is already with us, who knows what will come next.


I hate humidity and I felt breathless just looking at the team working with the local villagers. 
The team have had to beg and scrounge for funding and I don't know how they had the patience to try and explain to politicians the science behind this technology.  If I knew how to I would email this article to every brainless twit in Parliament except our Pauline who would immediately condemn the mozzies as a muslim plot.

So take a minute and read the article.  If the link doesn't work, ABC news on line has it. 

12 comments:

JahTeh said...

Don't yell at me, just type in the link or go to the ABC on line news. I swear I couldn't cut my wrists everything has gone so wrong.

Elephant's Child said...

I read it online earlier today.
Fingers and toes crossed. I love that in these uncertain and often ugly times people are continuing to do jobs which matter.
Hugs.

JahTeh said...

I just thought I'd try that link again and got the Blue Screen of Death. My unluck still holds.

JahTeh said...

El Chi, they are such darlings and work so damn hard that if I won Tattslotto I would hand the lot over to them. Science nerds they are and the idea came from watching StarTrek. If I had just one of their brain cells I'd be able to put up a bloody link.

Andrew said...

The world could save a lot of money if the transmission of malaria could be stopped. Forget politicians; people like these are the real people who make a huge difference for the better.

River said...

I'll try that link in a minute, but rest assured I will continue to smack into oblivion every mosquito that dares to come near me.

River said...

the link works fine. Left click and hold while you run the cursor along to highlight it, then right click and select open. I'm reading the article now.

JahTeh said...

Andrew, don't forget HIV, a test result before the viral load is detectable by other means would help children in Africa, India and Asia. As for politicians, tie them to a stake in malarial wetlands, the one with the most diseases after a week wins.

River, no-one likes a smarty pants but how clever of you now how about fixing my blue screen of death.
I know I have it written down in a note book but I haven't found it. It's Windows 10 getting revenge when I refuse to use it.

Anne S said...

Many years ago , 1990 to be exact, we travelled to the Solomon Islands for a two week holiday. We stayed with my uncle at a place on the coast half an hour's drive from the capital Honiara. It encompassed a small native village and a coconut plantation. All the natives suffered from malaria and tropical ulcers, which ailments were tended by my uncle who dispensed malaria tablets and antiseptics on Sunday afternoons, after mass.

We had got malaria shots before we travelled but I still managed to get a small tropical ulcer from a mosquito bite, which cleared up pretty fast once we got home.

I wrote a blog about the Solomon Islands back in 2008
http://catpolitics.blogspot.com.au/2008/01/solomon-islands.html

JahTeh said...

Anne, I will read that but 1990 was truly the olden days in that neck of the woods. There are still people who blame Rachel Carson for stopping the spraying of DDT and killing off the mosquito but Nature would have found another vector for the Malaria cycle and the DDT would have killed us.

River said...

I have no idea how to fix a blue screen of death. I don't think I've ever seen one. I've had computer problems in the past, but I don't recall a blank blue screen.

Anne S said...

The only way to fix a BSOD is to reboot and hope everything comes up roses when Windows reloads. However, if you get a lot of them it could be a sign that your C: drive is dying or corrupted.