Wednesday, March 29, 2006

POSTING WILL BE LIGHT

I should be in bed and sound asleep. I shouldn't be sitting in front of a screen. I've tried to sleep but my mind won't slow down.

It's been a long day. It will be a long week. It appears that my mother has breast cancer but we won't know for sure what stage until the core biopsy on Friday. She couldn't see the ultrasound but I could and the tumour is quite large.
The lovely girl taking the X-rays asked her how long had she known something was wrong. "Oh probably last July." The girl adds five months to that. I knew last Friday. Why didn't she say something? She hoped it would go away if she didn't think about it.

Now she has to think about it.

My sister and I have already discussed plans for looking after her. We're realistic about the things we have to do. It sounds as though we're being premature but having gone through life and death situations with mum before, we've found that going through worst case scenarios and being prepared is easier.

Mum's okay, she's not even thinking about Friday. She has a craft market to go to on Sunday. So while she had an exhausted sleep after the hospital, I finished off the ribbon roses she wanted.

As long as she can pick up a needle, she'll keep fighting and I'll keep making roses.

16 comments:

Mother Sharon Damnable said...

My Aunt has just been diagnosed with breast cancer.

Sending best healing wishes to your
mother and to you and your sister.

I hope you get to make many more roses.

Lord Sedgwick said...

All of this sort of stuff sure aint fun, but chin up.

Anonymous said...

Best wishes to you and your family. My thoughts are with you.

Unknown said...

Yes, best wishes for you all, CW. I hope there is good news on Friday.

BwcaBrownie said...

Surgical removal, lymph nodes too to be safe, bit of radiotherapy, 5 years on tamoxifen.
Tattooed dots to guide the radiotherapy to the same place each time. It exhausts the patient, but she will be fine.
much love hb

JahTeh said...

She's opting for no radical treatment if the worst comes to the worst. That would kill her before the cancer.
Quality of life and no pain is what she wants.

Looking forward to using her wheelchair for the first time for the biopsy on Friday. She's making plans for new things for the next 6 craft markets.

I always thought it would be cockroaches and Howard that would be standing after an atomic war, add my mother.

jdallen said...

"Keep making roses". Great line.

LadyCracker said...

Sad news - I'm thinking of you as you fight the fight.

Zoe said...

sending big hugs

R.H. said...

All my support and good wishes JanTeh.

The Editor said...

Bugger...

Best wishes from this end.

Davoh said...

Hey, JT, Best wishes from this old coot. (I presume you know of the clinic of
Ian Gawler
who, I think, still lives over your way)

R.H. said...

This thread is where I first realise I'm saying JanTeh instead of JahTeh. This is where I realise I must be exact. And true. I know your devotion, and your loyalty, and your guts to take a chance. It'll get you through.

Robert.

JahTeh said...

Thanks to everyone. Will probably know by next Wednesday. I've just called in to get emails and sanity. I'd forgotten that living with Ma is like an episode of Father Ted with her playing all three parts.
At the moment she's planning her funeral then telling me she's not going until after Christmas because she has a new set of sparkling lights for the roof. This family is nuts.

BwcaBrownie said...

Mrs Doyle: There's always time for a nice cup of tea. Sure, didn't the Lord himself pause for a nice cup of tea before giving himself up for the world.

Father Ted: No, he didn't, Mrs Doyle!

Mrs Doyle: Well, whatever the equivalent they had for tea in those days, cake or something. And speaking of cake, I have cake!

Father Ted: No, thanks, Mrs Doyle.

Mrs Doyle: Are you sure, Father? There's cocaine in it!

Father Ted: WHAT?

Mrs Doyle: Oh, no, not cocaine. God, what am I on about. No, what d'you call them. Raisins.

JahTeh said...

Brownie, my dear you have a bug planted at me mummie's house.