Sunday, October 08, 2006

Brocken Spectres




It's a bit small but I think you should be able to see what I'm describing. The 3-4 rings of colour is called a glory which occurs directly opposite the sun at the antisolar point on a high ridge.

The figure inside the glory is the shadow of the photographer looking down and projected forward through the mist. All shadows converge towards the antisolar point where the glory shines.

The Brocken Spectre is named for the number of sightings on the Brocken, the highest peak of Germany's Harz Mountains.

The photograph above was taken in September 2004 by Jim Salge of the Mount Washington Observatory.

5 comments:

BwcaBrownie said...

Thank you for today's Lesson Ms Copperwitch. I always learn something here.

Last Thursday as I drove from Colac to Ballan through beautiful country I actually saw a complete rainbow and also where it touched the paddock - it was thrilling.

JahTeh said...

Camera, lights, action, Ms DeBrownie.

I collect photos of rainbows and have a glorious one of a red rainbow. A complete rainbow is a full circle but we never see that because of the horizon. The know-it-all will now sign off.

Anonymous said...

I come bearing gifts:
http://www.missouriskies.org/aug_2006_rainbow/august_rainbow_2006.html
http://www.missouriskies.org/rainbow/february_rainbow_2006.html

JahTeh said...

Janet, drooling at this site and it is firmly placed in my favourites.

Mother Sharon Damnable said...

I love your pictures, I loved the cloud waves, I do come by here often though I don't always comment.

Thank you so much for mentioning me in another place, people have linked up through you and that can give us all hope.

Special love and thanks coming your way.

~ Best Wishes ~

Off to check out Janet's links :>)