Wednesday, November 22, 2006

APPLE TIME



This is my apple tree just before we had that 36 degree day in October and the north wind blew all the blossoms to kingdom come. However, at yesterday's count, there are 28 apples growing and more on the way. I threw out bread and honey for the possums last night and caught the glow of little eyes in the branches. The swines are already checking out the crop but they were so tiny. I didn't see mum possum anywhere, just the two little ones. So now there's a water dish under the tree for them. A big planter for the doves to swim in, another bowl to drink from and the bird bath out the front and another bowl by the gate. The birdbath has developed a leak so it's out with the cement again. The birds and the possums seem to be much thirstier this year so it looks like I'll be hauling water full time all summer. I just wish they'd make up their minds which water they want to wash in and what they want to drink from.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aren't you sweet to those little possums. If you can find a picture online of them, I sure would like to know of which species you speak. I imagine one of the tiny big-eyes cuties with button ears. We have in North America only the opossum, an ugly ratlike critter with sunken-looking beady black eyes that eats all sorts of garbage and that is at the northern-most edge of its range (hence their frostbitten tails get shorter and shorter each year).

Unknown said...

I haven't had any apples on my two trees now for a couple of years. Just as the blossoms come out we get really bad winds (the atmospheric kind!).

If any apples do manage to get started the possums and white cockies get them.

BwcaBrownie said...

I think they bathe in the water first because they like a bit of taste in it when they drink it.

JahTeh said...

I leave the apples to them Ron, my apology for cutting down their favourite trees.

Brownie, watching birds splash and bathe is one of the most relaxing ways of wasting time, that and watching ducks swim. Sis wandered across the hospital grounds at 6.30 the other morning and the galahs had the babies out and baby rabbits were hopping in the grass. She said it set her up for the day.