Friday, June 27, 2008

BUTTERFLIES



Philip Treacey went overboard with the butterflies as hats this year but I have to admit I really like them. The purple cloud above was seen at Royal Ascot and Princess Beatrice wore her rainbows to a wedding and ruined the effect by covering the matching colours of her dress with a ivory jacket. I'm allowed to bitch, I make my own clothes. The joy today was getting out my black wool crepe dress and finding it all made up except for the V neck which I finally know how to fit in properly. The pattern says to sew up the front seam and leave half an inch open into which the V part fits....not. It slips, slides, moves to everywhere except the half inch opening. Solution, sew the seam right up to the top, tack the V piece to the centre of that seam and then take out the half inch of stitching. Now why couldn't they say that on the pattern? Thank you to Mother who wrote it down before she went batty.



10 comments:

Brian Hughes said...

The one at the top looks like a hydranger.
The one at the bottom, despite having an abnormal, multi-coloured growth on the side of her head, is still dominated by a set of gnashers that'd look too large on the winner of the Grand National.
All of which just goes to show that money doesn't buy you taste.

JahTeh said...

Taste and Princess Bea do not go together. She's the spitting image of old Queen Vic though.

Brian Hughes said...

"She's the spitting image of old Queen Vic though."

You mean dead?

R.H. said...

Pardon me but I think ivory sets off the colour very well. This colour display (verging on outrageous)is the focus after all, and there's the chance of overstatement.

-Robert.

Lord Sedgwick said...

Ah, the irony of the drone Bea donning that titfer.

Butterflies live for about 24 hours whilst the epiphytic royals seem to go on forever.

JahTeh said...

Fleetwood, you're getting a fixation about dead things (insert Sedgwick joke).

Rh, the dress matched the hat beautifully but I couldn't find a full length shot. Picking up one shade in the hat and the dress would have been elegant, even a black jacket would have looked great. Few of us have great fashion taste at 20 but she's going to designer couture houses and still can't get it right.

You can't kill an aristocrap easily, M'Lord. Look how many times you've survived.

R.H. said...

Those things are growing out of her head in the top photo, and she looks like Dracula.

R.H. said...

I have to go to bed now.

Exhausted from being on topic.

Middle Child said...

fnywho is she - oh yes a royale!!!

JahTeh said...

I know it's a strain Rh, but try to keep up the good work.

Therese, I would put that purple hat on a stand in my bedroom just to look at it.