Saturday, May 16, 2009

MORE BIREFRINGENCE


Katrina Putker's image of a dinner plate and cutlery won her third place in the Eureka Prize for science photography, 2008.



This time the birefringence was created by using the light passing through plastic which was manually stressed to enhance the overall effect. When light passes through certain types of material, it experiences two refractive indices, slow and fast wavelengths which creates the rainbow effect.


Ms Putker called her work, "Birefringence Binge"



I'm not sure how 'manually stressed' works, in my case it would be belting it with a geologist's pick.

2 comments:

River said...

I'm curious about the "manually stressed" too. I'd imagine it would be several different phases of heat treatment done by hand rather than by a machine. Possibly with ovens or blowtorches?

JahTeh said...

River, I think I'd go with breaking it up and re-arranging the pieces to distort the light passing through. The cutlery is quite ordinary.