Thursday, September 24, 2009

I COULD ONLY EAT HAIGH'S CHOCOLATES FROM THIS SERVING DISH

This was for the last post but blogger only relented when I signed the terms of service box and I haven't a clue what I signed away, probably my soul. I usually loathe tattoos but this one seems discreet and since he's nicely smooth there'll be no hairs on the chocolates. Take note Oz this is what you should be aiming for.

Unfortunately I don't have any Haigh's but I did pick up a 250gram block of Old Gold peppermint cream dark chocolate which was only a little over the 'use by' date. I also got $10 on a scratchie. I tell you the day was good, with all that and a free loaf of bread, tinned tomatoes at 77 cents and I came in under the food budget.

When I got to the home this morning, Mother was holding court in the day room again. She had another list for me. She needs the large mirror which my sister keeps forgetting to take. A letter to Aunt Selma to be posted, a rolling pin, a bag of lemons and a pair of slippers. The girls in the activities room bring their own rolling pin if they have a cooking afternoon so Mum has donated hers, I get to find it. They also have to buy lemons at $1 each for the cooking afternoons, I get to haul a bagful down there. The slippers are because she has to wear the TED stockings now that she's not walking but she can't wear them with open toed shoes. With supreme confidence, she told the physio that her daughter would know exactly what to get and where. Thanks Ma, no pressure to be superdaughter. I did find them, Homeyped have special ones for diabetics, velco fastener at the back, two across the front so they open right out and can be put on easily. I left a $10 deposit and they'll be in next week and I ordered them in dusty rose pink. Mission accomplished and I can't tell how much of a pleasure it was, knowing that they would be appreciated.

I've just got the hard rubbish notice and I hate to say HawtAndrew was right when he said the chair I boosted last year would still be unpainted in 12 months. I hate it when men are right.
Anyway it's back to the house next week to make sure that nothing of mine gets chucked out and everything else does.

I've been through all the cupboards, found everything of monetary and sentimental value including family papers that someone might want to look at one day. I found the notice I'd written on my son's death. I wrote my own because nobody had bothered to ask if I wanted to say anything. I also found my grandmother's wedding ring and the cameo ring she was wearing the day she died. I knew it was hers the moment I touched it.

Mum also told me I could cut off the phone. I didn't want to do it until she was ready and settled to life away from her home but today it was done. It's been a short time and a long journey since the 10th of August but that light at the end of the tunnel is looking brighter.

23 comments:

BwcaBrownie said...

Excellent organisational skills dear Coppy.
and Chocolate is So Damn Good For You. Hesitate not.

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous bloke for a homo to gush over. Very nice indeed.

Dun worry Jahteh, being right is a hollow emotion.

River said...

I'd have the chocolates in a ceramic dish, but I'd have him handy to unwrap them and pop them in my mouth. He could even make coffee to go with them...
How's this freedom thing feeling?

Jayne said...

I'm just so happy for you and your Mum, J (((hugs)))

Davoh said...

Ah .. who comes first; you, or them.

hang in there.

R.H. said...

I wouldn't gloat, you bloody arse bandit; one more photo like that and she'll lose the best commentor in the world.

Let's just hope her grandkids don't see it.

JahTeh said...

Robbert dear, they can see sights like this on the tellie every night. I'd be more worried about them watching their friends drinking, drugging and being bashed by gangs of hooligans looking for 'fun'.
I can't believe you'd exile yourself from your home away from home.

Davo, hard to get in selfish mode but I'm trying.

River, nice thought, black coffee with some of those chocs Kath is reviewing would be just the thing.
I have to stop reading that blog, those chocolates look so damn gorgeous.

Andrew, If I'd known how tired you were, I'd have found a nice masseuse, female, for you. Someone oriental to walk up and down your spine, built like a bulldozer.

Brownie, have you been to Kath Lockett's new blog, she's reviewing Melbourne's chocolatiers. Http://gonechocco.com. Makes me happy to be poor and can't be tempted.

R.H. said...

My home away from home, that's right.

-Here, right here, where I've sweated out the most extraordinary pieces of my friend's biography.

Heavens, don't think I'm not grateful. You will know better.

hazelblackberry said...

JahTeh he's not my type so you can have him all to yourself. I'm not that averse to some hairs in my chocolate. What I suggest you do is let it melt on him and then lick it off.

Glad to hear things ae - slowly, gradually - lookign up.

BwcaBrownie said...

Bwcas loathe pretty much Everything, but they reserve HATE for homophobes.
Expressing homophobity is saying you have failed an intelligence test for godssakes, although, it is well-documented by qualified persons, that homophobic statements come from men insecure about their own sexuality. Well documented, so just bloody stop making yourself look stupid.
If I wanted to swing, I could go both ways by the way, and love those gorgeous boys so keep em coming.

Re Kath Chockett - I'm scared to go there.

R.H. said...

Good heavens, you again, and same old junk. What qualified persons? Name them. Do I have to praise homos to be hetero? You're a homo yourself, a bloody lesbian.

Put your dough on Geelong tomorrow, they've hit top form.
I've laid out a grand.

BwcaBrownie said...

Theorists including Calvin Thomas and Judith Butler have suggested that homophobia can be rooted in an individual's fear of being identified as gay. Homophobia in men is correlated with insecurity about masculinity.
They have argued that a person who expresses homophobic thoughts and feelings does so not only to communicate their beliefs about the class of gay people, but also to distance themselves from this class and its social status. Thus, by distancing themselves from gay people, they are reaffirming their role as a heterosexual in a heteronormative culture, thereby attempting to prevent themselves from being labeled and treated as a gay person. This interpretation alludes to the idea that a person may posit violent opposition to "the Other" as a means of establishing their own identity as part of the majority and thus gaining social validation. This concept is also recurrent in interpretations of racism and xenophobia.
Nancy J. Chodorow states that homophobia can be viewed as a method of protection of male masculinity.
Various psychoanalytic theories explain homophobia as a threat to an individual's own same-sex impulses, whether those impulses are imminent or merely hypothetical

BwcaBrownie said...

JAHTEH
Mad, bad and dangerous to know if you're a bigot, racist,
homophobe or waste of space.


RH gets the Quaddie

R.H. said...

You scream Homophobia at me -because I'm not out marching for these bloody people, I couldn't care about them one way or the other, I'm indifferent, understand? which is interpreted as homophobia for goodness sake. The criterion for sexuality is what gives you a hard on, I go for a pretty face first, a sweet nature second, and a good pair of tits third, okay? and I've never heard of the people you cite but I'll tell you this -reluctantly, I've suggested to prof Mullen: Monash/State Forensic, Prof Dolan: Monash/State Forensic, and Dr Andrew Carroll: Oxford, my theory of schizophrenia being an alternative to homosexuality. -And one of them, or all of them, will grab it.

BwcaBrownie said...

Indifferent ?
Then why did you say above -

"I wouldn't gloat, you bloody arse bandit; one more photo like that and she'll lose the best commentor in the world.
Let's just hope her grandkids don't see it."

UNnecessary. Loses you friends.

JahTeh said...

HB, you've lost me with the licking fur. After spending 35 years with cats and scraping their fur off my chocs, I want a smooth blokeservingdish.

Bwca, my definition of homophobia is a bloke who thinks he's so ugly not even a homo would pick him up.

Robbert, my mother's playing bingo and I hold you personally responsible for supporting this insidious form of gambling for the elderly.
I'm backing St. Kilda.
And if you're for tits, did you see the tatty titty tart almost wearing the black dress at the Brownlow?
I bet you stepped on your tongue watching that.

Anonymous said...

I kinda miss Robbbert at my blog but I don't like people being nice one day and nasty a week later. I get enough of that at home. Who knows if he is homophobic but he sure makes homophobic statements that make him sound like one.

Btw Jahteh, I am now following The Muriels. So nice.

Kath Lockett said...

I'm having some chocolate in celebration of everything you've achieved, JahTeh.

phil said...

Chocolate with cat hairs in it. I come here for entertainment and I get an image from something that SBS would put on at 2 in the morning.

Or is that soccer?

R.H. said...

I'll tell you Andrew, I don't believe I'm homophobic, but it would never get in the way of my friendship with you. We've too much in common.

JahTeh said...

Andrew, they're a great pair of girls and doing a fantastic job of raising Princess Charlotte. I go over there to get my cute fix when you don't post photos of little Jo.

Phil, the images that comment brought to my mind are just as disgusting as yours and I mean soccer.

Kath, I like the Bwca's name for you Kath Chockett and that blog of yours is the eigth deadly sin. I am in the middle of Old Gold peppermint close to use by date, that's how desperate I am.

Robbert dear, you're a lot of things but never common.
I'm still backing St. Kilda.

Middle Child said...

I think there's a book in what you have experienced - the blog posts would provide the outline...
maybe have to wait till all the family have passed on to publish...family can get so thingy about stuff like this.

JahTeh said...

Therese, one cousin passed last week and one this morning but Mother Tungsten will be here forever.