Saturday, May 29, 2010

I'm a day late for the celebration

How could I have forgotten the wonderful day of the 28th of May. Emancipation Day. The 'Blight walked off with the Blonde' Day. Freedom from cooking, washing, snoring, door banging, radio slightly off station annoying buzz, crashing of gates, bashing of garbage wheelie bins, in fact the silence when he left was deafening. I still can't stand having the radio on.

Forgetting was easy since I saw mater yesterday. I missed the bus by a second, walked down to the pharmacy, picked up the registered mail and while the stupid man, who knows me but still wanted to see ID, made me miss the second bus. While waiting for the third bus, the sky rained on me.

So walking through Mentone, cold, still not well and hungry, I stopped at a small fish and chip shop. I haven't had fish and chips for years and it was well worth the wait. The chips were crispy and the fish was at least an inch thick without the batter. Perhaps it was the hunger but I savoured every mouthful. There was another woman having lunch and enjoying the shop's speciality, deep fried battered hamburger. No bun, just the hamburger in batter and a layer of tomato sauce. She said she'd be back for more and she was thin, I hate it when thin people eat stuff like this and stay thin. It'll be another year before I indulge in this treat again.

Which brings me to a word that is going into my memory bank. Researchers use laboratory rats for biomedical research but there are concerns that the rodents aren't up to it. They're not exercising, eating too much food and so like a teenage couch potato they're overfed, unfit and obese and developing a range of health problems and are dying prematurely. So how can the experimental results of any research be called a success? These animals are housed in obesogenic conditions. OBESOGENIC, fantastic word. It should be printed over every cake shop I pass, my fridge, my chocolate stash, the bottle of Pepsi I've hidden for emergencies. It should be tattooed on the inside of my eyelids.

It should also be printed all over that container of fat sludge that's been in the news. 2000 calories in one container! But what I want to know is how icecream and peanut butter is considered a taste sensation. It's obesogenic.

10 comments:

River said...

Obesogenic is a great word. We need to get it out there into general usage.
I've always thought fish'n'chips taste the best when they're eaten immediately you get the package from the guy behind the counter, at least two chips before you even leave the shop, and if you haven't had any for at least a year they taste even better.
I don't think icecream and peanut butter is a good mix at all. Says she with a mouthful of peanut butter rocky road......

R.H. said...

Cut the cackle, it was you had the battered hamburger, bun and all.

Elisabeth said...

I'm with you on this one, Jahteh - obesogenic, it's a grim statement about the situations we create, not only for poor experimental rats but for ourselves.

Jayne said...

...and now her blog makes me crave fush 'n' chups at midnight....*sob*

JahTeh said...

Jayne, now you know how I feel when KFC ads come on the teev at midnight. I still reckon they'd have a seller with herbs & spices covered tofu.

Elisabeth, my whole world is obesogenic no matter how much I try to be a healthy vego. Stress eating is my downfall.

Robbert, it looked revolting and I don't eat red meat but she did say it was the best hamburger she had ever tasted. I was putting on kilos, apart from the f&c, just watching her. I've been vego for nearly 10 years but the memory of taste still lingers. Some days I would kill for roast pork and apple sauce.

River, rocky road is an essential food group. I did have fish and salad last month but I was with a couple of bloggers and glass of wine and forgot what I was eating.

Lord Sedgwick said...

You shoulda been with us in Wentworth last week.

Yabbies by the kilo.

Mind you the mixed grill, which that copper topped Oz pole vaulter champion kiddy would have had trouble clearing, at the local pub was an Everestic challenge. I gave up after the 6th snag, the 8th BBQ chop and the 2 acre rump steak.

JahTeh said...

Sedgwick, you swine talking about food and you, as skinny as a Paris catwalk model but with more brains.
I hope you took a photo and sent it to Lord Hughes and his cats.

I must be deprived, I've never eaten a yabby.

R.H. said...

What's happened to the 'All You Can Eat For $10' places? Can't find any now. I went to the Braybrook one with two girls living here and I ate so much they had to help me out of the place. They talked of calling an ambulance, I said no (but a stretcher would have been handy).

Middle Child said...

God. MY mum and dad would not recognise the world as is become...
Do they have a reverse word for those too thin and unhealthy...I mean skeletal and cadaverous - cadaverogenic - hey new word

JahTeh said...

Therese, I love it, describes Posh doesn't it?

Robbert, It's all Yum Cha for Sundays now. I used to hate those all you could eat places, Salmonella on plates.