Wednesday, January 17, 2007

IT'S ONLY THE HEAT

I can't believe it's only a few weeks since I was bitching about the freezing cold. I didn't order stinking hot, just warm would have done. It brought it home to me last night how much we owe to the firefighters who have been going non-stop in heat like this. If Howard had any sense he'd make the CFA Australians of the Year because they deserve it. Not only putting out fires but dealing with the injured animals they come across.

Speaking of animals, I have had some strange goings on at night in the trees outside my window. Call me crazy but it sounds like bats. I don't know of any birds that fly at two in the morning and besides it doesn't sound like bird flight. It's a glidey floomp sound accompanied by icky squeaks (could I write scripts or what) that don't sound like birds. Have I ventured out to see the nocturnals? Bite yer bum, I'm no Indianna Jones and I have enough with the huntsman invasion and the cockroaches.

I'm not sure about the cockroaches, well I know what two species of roach looks like but the two I poured out of the bucket yesterday were not familiar. When we had the air conditioner installed they usually put the outflow into the stormwater but I decided that we could use the water on the garden so it collects in a bucket. So do various insects and I hope they just come from the outside and drown, not through the pipes in the wall. The thought that there might be some thriving metropolis between the plaster and the bricks doesn't help me sleep at night.

I could have preserved the bodies but I don't think I really want to know what they are. The blowflies and mozzies have been thin on the ground so far. No earwigs or cicadas but the ants are getting ready for world domination. Not sure what the spiders are thriving on but they are bigger than last year and I didn't need to look up last night and see one walking across the ceiling. That was after I put my glasses on, before I could just make out a moving blur. I had to wait until it was not over the bed before the capture attempt. I hope my watching him made him embarrassed because he took 20 minutes of stalking to find out it was an empty spider thread floating in the breeze not the insect he thought it was.

Don't you just love Summer. When's Autumn?

11 comments:

Davoh said...

The "Commonwealth" (hello John Winston ..) would have a small problem with the "budget" if the CFS, CFA, Surf etc, Coastal Patrol ..and all the volunteer "emergency" services actually put their hand up an' sed Oy! we wanna be paid fer all this shit.

Roll on "Enterprise Agreements".. heh.

JahTeh said...

That would also include emergency tree growers as well, Davo but you're right about the budget. I'd like to see some Pollies out there on the firing line.

Davoh said...

Sorry, JT, pet peeve of mine. Costello has no idea of "budgeting" for the Commonwealth of Australia. Grr..

BwcaBrownie said...

1. I have been a Volunteer myself, and until then, I had no idea of the huge number of volunteers involved in a very large number of organisations.
The Blood Bank for starters. That nitwit who cramped your vein doing it wrong, was actually some Nursing student not being paid.
The CFS have a big commitment to Sunday morning training and fitness sessions.

2. You would know if you had bats (ha ha) -do you think it is an OWL ?
I know owls live as urbanly as St.Kilda.

Anonymous said...

Not sure where you live, but we've had bats (flying foxes?) in Abbotsford for years. The ones that were causing such a problem in the Botanic Gardens.

They're no problem, but, yes, they do make different noises from birds - it took me a while to get used to them.

R.H. said...

It's not bats, it's Ghoulia Gillard, flying around to show off her latest hairdo.

Anonymous said...

Warm balmy sunny days with a cool breeze, crisp nights. Bring it on.

JahTeh said...

I know there used to be bats over in the golf course but I'm not going out to see. It was back last night and definitely not a bird noise or possum noise.

Not too crisp, I don't like goosebumps on my nekkid blokes.

RH, what are you doing here? Why aren't you over slashing Slanderyou into small bits? Not that that's a fair fight, with your brains and his idiocy.

It can't be an owl, it's not making owl sounds.

R.H. said...

He won't bite. I've poked him twice.

JahTeh said...

Bravo RH, your fearsome reputation has proceeded you and like every bully he won't attack the strong.

R.H. said...

Well it does no good, these donkeys never change. If I were Lefty I'd be arranging to find Landeryou and punch his head in. Truly. And risk the consequences.