Friday, May 11, 2007

FIVE DAYS DOWN

Monday: all day Mummy day, packing, unpacking, stressing and pain in head.

Tuesday: meltdown which needed painkillers for killer pain in neck, shoulders and spine due to stress and several phone calls from Mummy. I should have put my phone number at the bottom of the call list which I would do if there was going to be another respite care which there is not as she is never again leaving her home except feet first. (her words)

Wednesday: Up, up and away to Mummy's house to let the council housekeeper in otherwise the council gets shitty and thinks we don't need help. She madly cleans without the usual instructions from the bedroom and I, once more unto the breach, throw out junk from the sewing room. This is the third time I've done this but before I always thought she would go back to some sort of craft work but she finds it impossible to thread any but the largest needle and then finds she can't move her left hand to do any embroidery. All the laces are put away in dust free bags and stacked on the shelves where she can look at them and that's it for now.

Thursday: Today is good. I get to meet Brownie and Lord Sedgwick at Parliament House for lunch in the dining room. Somebody should have taken a photo of my face as I realized that I would have to climb all those damn stairs from Spring Street which was a hell of a lot easier than climbing down later. Security was lax, they let us through. Lunch was nice and we kept Parliamentary hours, three hours before we decided we'd had enough. The wine chosen by His Lordship was an excellent red and thankfully it was the waitress who slopped it on the snowy whiteness of the starched tablecloth. I was wearing a red dress which disguised the raspberry coulis which I slopped down me. I can't believe I missed my mouth and the coulis was delicious.

This is where we lingered longer. The Queen's Hall where the portraits of the Premiers are displayed. I love this Hall, it's big and I look small in it. Ballarat gold glitters on the ceiling and I wanted to take home the light fixture.
We also had a snoop in the library. I wanted this light as well, in fact I wanted the whole room carted off to my place and tacked on the back. The Brownie and Lord Sedgwick checked out the books while I gave a thumbs up to the Ladies Powder Room.
I've lived in Melbourne all my life and have never been inside Parliament House and probably won't again. The view from the top of the steps, looking down Bourke St. was fantastic until I started to move. The knees protested, I sidestepped to the handrail and clung on for dear life.
Thank you to the guys sitting at the bottom who would have broken my fall. It took me another two hours to get home because I had to stop and shop for the cat.
Friday: Shopping because I didn't do it yesterday. The ingrate that I fed expensive food to last night had regurgitated it the entire length of the hall. No wonder he wasn't snivelling for breakfast at 7 o'clock. There will be no weigh-in tomorrow. I couldn't walk that far to be shown the bad news on a large digital scale.
My shoulders are loosening up at last. The tension is decreasing. I've become aware of just how much of my life is taken up with my Mother. Today should have been about wandering around for me but I kept thinking, "did she need this or need that?" until I mentally slapped myself and spent the grocery money on beads and baubles. So all is well, no I've found a leaking filling in my back tooth so it's a visit to the dentist but not until after next week of freedom.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

One bottle of red. Clear that I was not there. I haven't been to parliament house either. You have excited me to go soon. Did you need salt and pepper with your meal?

Lord Sedgwick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lord Sedgwick said...

"Pussy cat, pussy cat, where have you been.

"I've bento (seriously bad Japanese luchbox pun totally intended - vs what we actually ate which was half the Cabinet and two thirds of the Opposition - thank gawd the Coppery One is on a diet and Brownie refuses to eat anything served up on a plate with eyes staring back at you- so it was left up to moi to gnaw off the waitresses within an inch of their thighs ) Parliament House to see the Queen."

But given Camera Face was a no show so we didn't see aforesaid queenly personage. (Therefore our goodself had to do Windsory vice regality overtime

JahTeh said...

No we didn't but I could have made off with the sugar bowl, it was huge and white sugar, someone's trying to bump off the great eaters of Parl. It was a real cosy little snuggery,hidden in a corner where a slip of coulis could go un-noticed.

'comment deleted', was that you again fumble fingers? Vice regality overtime my overlarge foot, you quaffed most of the booze. Brownie was right about the barramundi, the cat had tuna with whitebait last night and they still had their little staring eyes. Oh, Andrew, His Lordship had sticky rice for dessert.

JahTeh said...

Isn't that sweet Adrian thinks I'm computer literate like him who posted three times. Drip!

phil said...

He's just an obsessive compulsive naughty boy.

Anonymous said...

Sticky rice means something in gay parlez.

Lord Sedgwick said...

You might need to revise that definition as I had black sticky rice.

JahTeh said...

And don't think I don't know it Andrew.

Phil, isn't it nice to see blogger can even upset the spammers.

I have to say Your Lordship, it didn't look the best. There were times I was tempted to say "I see dead things."

BwcaBrownie said...

Our lunch was the niftiest blogmeet ever. peace and love to you both, Brownie